As we begin our journey together, I thought it a good idea to let you know what I would most appreciate from you. I hope you do not think me too bold for speaking so directly and honestly as we get to know each other.
Here it is:
- Honesty – Not just in what you tell me, but in the things you might omit, Tell me those too.
- Feedback – Tell me what I do well and the effect I’m having. Let me know when I have a negative effect but don’t see it.
- Trust me to do the things you brought me here to do, and then some
- Know, I mean really know in your heart and mind, I am a rich (not in dollars) human being, with a multidimensional life, and please take that into account
- The freedom to think and contribute in ways that are meaningful to me and add value to the company, our customers and our stake holders.
- Some room to experiment, which means I may make a little mess every now and then, but that’s how I learn.I clean up after myself.
- Time and space to play with others, because that’s another way I learn and come up with really good ideas.
It’s not a long list, but I know it’s not always easy. I will be patient and forgiving, if you are genuinely trying.
What I give
Dear Leader: In return I give you my best self.
Do we have a deal?
Imagine the riches the CEO and manager would receive if each new employee had the chance to write such a letter, and to refresh it every few years. And what if, the CEO and the manager wrote back, on occasion?